Tuesday, April 17, 2012

SUSPERIA


This scene comes from a movie called Susperia which in TPQ's opinion is a damn fine movie. Filmed with color and total catastrophic vibrancy, Dario Argento (director) takes the viewer on a terrifying journey through witch craft and mystery. There are two films which immediately come to mind after I watched this movie: Hobo with a shotgun and The Exorcist. Both of which scared the doo doo out of me bum.
Dario Argenta's Susperia got my heart pumping on acouple of factors. The most important of which is his ability to capture fear by communication of vulnerability. All of the main characters in this movie are female and in my opinion, allow for the audience to sympathize and bond further with the characters. I'll take it even further and say that having the villains as females is more disturbing because, traditionally women have the roles of being victimized. It is not often that the protagonist in a horror movie is a female.
The second factor which I admired was his use of colorful lighting and vibrant tones in the film. The red theme in the film generated feelings of fright, disgust and horror. It is obvious that Argento uses this bright colored red to almost tease the viewer into each kill scene. Almost every time I would see that red, a feeling of fear and suspense crept over me.

and just to be cute ill put a spoiler alert. But dont be a bitch and just watch the movie.

The final part of the movie reminded me of my first time seeing The Exorcist. The most terrifying part of that movie was the extended scenes of conversation between the priest and the possessed girl. The final scene of Suzy confronting the OG witch really had me remembering some goody but oldies. Hearing that genderless deep gutteral tone just creeps me the fuck out, and if I ever heard it in my day to day, I would shit my pants.